Sunday, March 22, 2009

Adios Spring Break! Remember the Alamo!

We closed out Spring Break with a road trip to San Antonio to see the in-laws. I told Little Man that since this was his vacation, he got to eat whatever he wanted for 24 hours. Boy, was that a crazy mistake.

He started off at the first pit stop with a Oreo Brownie Earthquake from Dairy Queen. No road trip in Texas is official until you have stopped at a Dairy Queen somewhere along the way. It's in the rule book.

We didn't realize until we hit Austin that SXSW was going on and traffic was awful. What should have been a 4-hour trip took us a little over 5 hours (groan).

After a delicious home-cooked meal from Randy's Mom, his sister and a friend came over and we watched the Spurs game (they lost by ONE point) and played Hand and Foot into the wee hours of the morning.

Our big activity on Saturday was going to the Riverwalk and touring the Alamo. It was a gorgeous day and we had a great time strolling the Riverwalk and people-watching.
I must say, the Alamo left a lot to be desired. After touring museums in Dallas, I guess my standards are high. But it was not very well organized. We got the audio tour for Little Man (trying to make the experience a bit educational) and it was a little scattered. For instance, you walked into the main doors of the Alamo and the map said "Numbers 7-12". So, you had no idea what number to push for a specific artifact or document. You had to push a number, see what they were talking about and then walk over to that thing. 

Needless to say, that thing lasted about 5 minutes before the boy took it off his ears and asked me to hold it. And there are about 10 artifacts to look at. It was not overly exciting. But, the boy liked it and I guess that's what counts. I liked the Prickly Pear Margaritas we had after at Boudro's on the Riverwalk. Now that was tasty.

Left Photo:Grandad Leon with Little Man... Right Photo: Me and Little Man enjoying a cold one on the Riverwalk

Randy, Carol, Little Man and Leon at the Alamo

A little Father/Son time in the backyard.
We came home just beat from walking all afternoon and ordered a pizza for dinner. We had given Randy's parents a new computer for Christmas - but didn't think about the fact that they had flown up to see us. So we drove it down with us this weekend and our plan was to install it for them. I figured it would take about 5 minutes. WRONG.

Now, I am no computer whiz, but I have putzed around enough to know how to unhook and rehook up a home PC. Done it at least 3 other times. So, I hook everything up to the new hard-drive - and we can't connect to the Internet. We all take a look and wiggle wires around. Nothing. So, at 11:00 pm I text my IT guy at work and ask if I can call him. Thankfully, he is up and I spend an hour on the phone with him. Can't get it to work. Then I call AT&T, I mean India, and talk to someone there for an hour-and-a-half. Still nothing. So, we left this morning with it all still in a mess. Yikes. They are calling Geek Squad to come over and fix the darn thing. Merry Christmas!