|Happy 20th Birthday to Bread Winners|
In the early 1990s, Jim & Cindy Hughes, lived in Uptown (before it was even called Uptown). There was one building on McKinney Ave. with quirky charm and great proximity to Downtown that they loved, so when they heard the current tenant (Verlaine’s) was closing and having one last Happy Hour for fans – they went to meet the owners and find out what would be happening with the building. Luckily for them, the current owners were looking to divest themselves of the property and this became the first Bread Winners location. Bread Winners Cafe & Bakery opened the doors to their Uptown location on July 22, 1994 and today Bread Winners manages over 450 employees, runs 4 locations, operates a corporate catering service and has added The Quarter bar in Uptown to round out their portfolio. Bread Winners is renowned for their breakfast/brunch menu (I mean, have you had their Fried Chicken and Waffles or French Ham Benedict?!) and have won every local award handed out for their menu and bakery items. They have also developed organic pet treats called SoleMates that is sold in all 4 locations.
Sure, everyone gets a free birthday cake cake ball... but this gold coin is what you seek!
To celebrate 20-years of serving Dallas, each of Bread Winners four locations will take turns over four weeks to host a special giveaway promotion: Guests will receive a free birthday cake cake ball (while supplies last) when they purchase any entrée. One lucky winner in each location will find a golden coin inside that will entitle them to FREE Bread Winners food for a Year!*
Week of July 21: Plano, 4021 Preston Rd, Plano, Texas 75093, 972.312.9300
Week of July 28: NorthPark, 8687 N. Central Exp, Dallas, Texas 75225, 469-232-9798
Week of August 4: Inwood, 5560 W. Lovers Lane, Dallas, Texas 75209, 214.351.3339
Week of August 11: Uptown, 3301 McKinney Ave, Dallas, Texas 75204, 214-754-4940
Here are a few fun facts about Bread Winners that you may not know:
- The owners bought the name for one dollar from a restaurateur pal in Omaha, NE. that was closing down his concept
- The Hughes actually lived on the second floor of the Uptown location for the first several years with their young children
- All four of their children and both sets of parents have worked at the restaurant in some capacity over the last 20 years
- The restaurants use 1,400 eggs a day or 511,000 a year
- Henry's Hot Sauce is named after one of the owners dogs
- The Uptown location serves 1200 people on average during a brunch service
- Richard "Gar" Garcia has been a server at the Uptown location for over 17 years
- I was their Account Executive when I worked at the Dallas Observer and sold them ads
- They were Gangway Agency's very first client
- I have worked with them on their marketing in some capacity for over 15 years
*1 entrée per week for 52 weeks) Each winner will receive a VIP card good for 52 free entrees. Only one entree per visit, but guests could choose to dine with us every day until the 52 entrees are gone or use 1/week for a year – the VIP card will expire on August 31, 2015 and is good for an entrée only.